Friday, August 27, 2010

Last names

It's hard to imagine that I'll be a part of a new family. A family I'm creating with Richard. It's all so new and exciting.

When it comes to changing my name...I'm not so excited. I can't pretend that I'm not the person I've always been with the last name I've had my entire life. I know it's just a last name but to me it's so much more. It's a representation of me. It's who I am, it's who I've always been...it's who I'll always be. It's in loving memory of the people who aren't here anymore who gave that name to me, my grandparents. I just don't want to give that up.

Luckily, I have a modern and forward-thinking fiance who understands the way I feel about this. Not only does he accept this, he wants to add my last name to his as well. He's becoming a part of my family too, after all. I'll be adding his last name and he'll be adding mine. (Also, in case you're wondering, it will be the same last name for both of us. Mine will come first, his will be second.) There will be no hyphen. I just don't agree with the hyphen...it totally rubs me the wrong way every time I see it.

Not many know about this. I tried to explain it to my mom but she just looked at me weird and started talking about how I was the family's Gloria Steinem. (That's a compliment.) Can't wait to try to explain it to his side of the family...

Marriage is starting a new family out of love. No one needs to change to be in that family. We bring different things to the table and that's the way love goes.

chicago-detroits :)

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment